Orange Chicken On The Lighter Side




Orange Chicken
(on the lighter side)

Very excited to find this recipe on Eating Well Living Thin (we all want that right)? Well you still can have that with this recipe. I finally got my cholesterol down to normal numbers so it makes me very happy to find good recipes that are healthier than what I would normally eat because I really do love to eat and  I LOVE CHINESE FOOD!

This recipe has no sugar, it is lower in sodium, high in protein and not deep fried like most Orange Chicken recipes AND it can go up against any other recipe.
 The reviews are that good. 




Orange Chicken Recipe

Marinade:
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sesame seed oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound chicken breast tenders, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 cup cornstarch
Sauce:
3/4 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
5 teaspoons Splenda granular
4 teaspoons sugar-free OR regular honey OR Agave
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Kosher salt
Sliced green onions
Sesame seeds
Marinade: In a medium bowl combine orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, sesame oil, and salt. Add chicken tenders and stir to coat. Allow to marinate for 25-30 minutes.
Sauce: In a small saucepan combine orange juice, orange zest, chicken broth, Splenda,  honey, soy sauce, oil, garlic, and apple cider vinegar. Bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced by 1/4. Season with salt to taste. Stir the 2 teaspoons cornstarch with a small amount of cold water and add to the sauce. Bring back to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until thickened. Set aside, but keep warm.
In a large bowl or ziplock bag add the 1/2 cup of cornstarch. Drain the chicken and toss with the cornstarch, shaking off excess. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil over medium-high. Add chicken and cook until golden and meat is cooked through. Gently toss cooked chicken with the sauce and serve. 



Serve with some yummy Jasmine steamed rice



 A nice Almond salad with your dressing of choice.


This looks so delicious! It doesn't look heavy and deep fried as the usual Orange Chicken. On the lighter side, healthier and you don't have to give up the taste. Woo Hoo!



Look at her testimonials from satisfied eaters

"Just made this for dinner and my husband said its the best meal he’s ever had. We are chinese food lovers and it was better than take out because it wasn’t heavy and fried. My only complaint is that there are no leftovers. I wonder if this freezes well. Thanks so much for the recipe!!" Chrissy

"I just made this recipe and I have to say by far that this is the best Orange Chicken I have ever tasted! I made it for my husband for his birthday, and it was definitely better than taking him out to a Chinese place! Thank you for all your recipes, now my family and I can start eating my healthy." Jessica

"I made this the other night for dinner and we loved it!!! I was worried about it being orange flavored as my husband is sometimes funny about fruity flavors with his chicken, but it was not overwhelming and tasted great!! It was very easy to do as well.
Thanks for another great recipe!" Debbie

"All I have to say is WOW! I made this tonight for my husband, sister, and brother in law. Everyone loved it! I will definately make this again and again! " Sheri

I hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as I have. I would love to know if you made this and what your thoughts were. Thanks for stopping by!
 Dori

You have just read the article entitled Orange Chicken On The Lighter Side. Please read the article from Riches to rags stories About http://flesherfamilyfun.blogspot.com/2012/03/orange-chicken-on-lighter-side.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment